To be a Directorate of excellence in planning for better Infrastructure and knowledge based economy for a globally competitive and prosperous nation and a high quality of life for all Kenyans
To provide leadership in policy formulation and planning for Infrastructure, Science, Technology and Innovation facilities and services for a globally competitive and prosperous nation
The Infrastructure, Science, Technology and Innovation Directorate in the Ministry of State for Planning, National Development and Vision 2030 is responsible for coordinating the Policy, Planning and Budgeting aspects of the Enablers of the Kenya Vision 2030 that relate to Physical Infrastructure including Roads, Energy, Urban Development, Public Works; Air, Road, Rail and Water Transport. It also focuses on policy matters that relate to Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) and in particular technical, entrepreneurial and research initiatives and best innovative practices and ideas essential to transform Kenya into a Knowledge Based Society.
The Directorate also provides a linkage between the Ministry and the Line Ministries responsible for the enablers in the Medium Term Plan (MTP) implementation and Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF) Budget. In addition the Directorate collaborates with other stakeholders working within the enablers sectors. Towards, the fulfillment of the Ministryâ€™s mandate ISTI Directorate contributes significantly towards;
- Strengthening policy formulation and planning;
- Strengthening the linkages between policy, planning and budgeting.
- Strengthening participatory planning and coordination at all levels.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Coordinating development of sector policies, programmes and strategies in the Vision 2030 Enablers sectors - Infrastructure ( air, roads, rail, water); Energy, Urban Development; Public Works; Science, Technology and Innovation; Information, Communication and Technology )
- Providing a linkage between the Ministry and the relevant Sector Ministries. This include Ministries responsible for Transport; Public Works; Roads; Housing; Nairobi Metropolitan Development; Local Government; Energy, and Higher Education, Science, Technology and Innovation
- Preparation and dissemination of policy briefs and database on sector policies and programmes for the enablers sectors as well as contributing towards improved public policy making and implementation by conducting/facilitating objective policy research and analysis
- Co-convening the MTEF Sector working groups for the enablers sectors (Physical Infrastructure and Research, Science, Technology and Innovation)
- Providing guidance and monitoring implementation of service delivery innovations in the Ministryâ€™s and Directorates/Units Performance Contracts
- Developing, maintaining and disseminating a database on key innovations and technological developments in Vision 2030 Priority sectors.
- Provision of technical guidance and inputs to the parent Ministry, line ministries, institutions, committees, task forces and fora on enablers sectors
- Developing, maintaining and disseminating a database of relevant researches and policy documents for policy formulation and planning.
- Identifying and mapping out key partners in promoting STI locally, regionally and internationally e.g. National Council for Science and Technology, Universities, Private sector, Research and Development Institutions, NEPAD, KIPPRA, IPAR, IEA, Development Partners including the UN agencies and develop a collaborating mechanism.
- Enhancing Science, Technology and Innovation awareness in the Ministry
In addition to the above the Directorate undertakes any additional tasks as assigned by the Hon. Minister, Hon. Assistant Minister, the Permanent Secretary and the Economic Planning Secretary
STRUCTURE OF THE ISTI DIRECTORATE
The mandate of the ISTI Directorate is executed through the two divisions of the Directorate as follows:
- Infrastructure and Urban Development Division: Contributes to the Directorateâ€™s mandates by focusing on policy, planning and budgeting matters that relate to Physical Infrastructure including Roads, Energy, Local Government, Urban Development, Housing, Public Works, Nairobi Metropolitan Development and Transport.
- Research, Science, Technology and Innovations Division: Contributes to the Directorateâ€™s mandates by focusing on policy matters that relate to scientific and technological infrastructure as well as the technical, entrepreneurial and research skills and best innovative practices and ideas essential to transform Kenya into a Knowledge Based Society.