Second Anniversary of the Nairobi Summit on ICPD25F M
The National Treasury and Planning Chief Administrative Secretary Eric Simiyu Wafukho today officiated the 2nd anniversary of the Nairobi Summit on ICPD25 on behalf of the Cabinet Secretary Amb Ukur Yatani.
The occasion was held to take stock of the progress Kenya has made over the last two years of the ICPD25. The anniversary provided stakeholders with an opportunity to reflect on the progress that the country has made and the work that lies ahead as the country seeks to improve the lives of all citizens.
The theme of this year’s anniversary could not have come at a better time than now “Accelerating the promise; The March Continues.” We must all purpose to live the promises we made to our women and girls.
During the 2020-2021 period, Kenya made the following achievements among others, in the implementation of the ICPD25 country commitments:
1. Reviewed the population policy for National Development (PPND) and the Kenya Demographic Dividend Roadmap;
2. Operationalized the National Social protection steering committee;
3. Registered over 348,000 new members to the National Social security fund
4.Capacity-built 142 institutions on provision of quality and timely data for decision making;
5. Finalized negotiation of bilateral labour migration agreements with the United kingdom and Saudi Arabia.;
6. Completed and put in operation 119 new TVET institutions;
7. Three landmark declarations against FGM were made by the pokot, Gabra and Samburu communities;
8. All County Gender Technical Working Groups were strengthened;
9. Provided 272 advisories to various institutions on opportunities for promoting gender equality and freedom from discrimination; and
10. The process of integrating the ICPD25 indicators on digital platform to ease monitoring and reporting was commenced.
The CAS acknowledged that the work ahead is great and called upon Implementing partners and development partners to double their efforts and rally all the support required towards realising the promises Kenya made.